Thursday, May 2, 2013

day 2: on goldendoodles

Jake is a goldendoodle. I know, the name is silly. Let me explain. His father was a standard poodle, his mother a golden retriever. Hence, goldendoodle! Duh.

{this is a goldendoodle, and he happens to be mine}

I consider myself a "doodle expert" if you will. Here's what you need to know about goldendoodles and/or owning one:

Goldendoodles like to go shopping, particularly in bedroom closets. Favorite items of purchase include socks, t-shirts, and pajama bottoms. Items are usually returned unscathed.

Doodles like to eat things.Things such as tissues, mail, napkins, stuffed animal toys and windowsill molding{see photo below}. When doodles get sick from eating said objects, they prefer to rid of waste on carpet or rugs, rather than hard floor surfaces where cleaning would be a breeze.


Doodles are stubborn. And very smart. They are persistent when it comes to seeking attention and will NOT STOP nudging your arm until gentle stroking behind ears ensues.

This breed is very affectionate and friendly. They love everyone and everything. Although they are not small, they think they are lap dogs.


They do not shed due to their half poodle DNA. Sweet mother of pearl we did one thing right!

Doodles have a lot of energy and like to play hide-and-go-seek and fetch. Their energy is much more manageable when taken on a two mile run daily.

That being said, goldendoodles make great running partners.


Doodles do NOT like to be alone. They think they are human and if you're not careful are easily spoiled rotten{oops}.

Doodles are not aggressive. Jake does not have a mean bone in his body. In fact, he's quite the push over. Somehow, my dog is both stubborn AND submissive if that's even possible.

Goldendoodles are good watch dogs. There are many a time when I've checked to see if my ears are actually bleeding. He's VERY good at alerting us of a bunny hopping through the yard or a small child driving his power wheels down the sidewalk. Our neighborhood is full of dangerous threats, you know.


Goldendoodles are seat stealer's. If you leave your post on the sofa to get a drink or microwave some popcorn, don't expect to find your seat available when you return.

 Goldendoodles prefer beer over wine. 


 Bonus! I can successfully administer allergy medication by injection for my dog.

You see, my goldendoodle has allergies. This is something that no dog owner is prepared for. After several years of scratching, vet appointments and skin infections, we decided to take this seriously. Naturally, we take him to see a vet DERMATOLOGIST{who knew such a thing existed?}. We learned that skin ailments and allergies are common in golden retrievers. Sigh. We also learned that he is allergic to: rag weed, pollen, dust mites, cats, the black ant, and sheep wool...just to name a few. Oh by the way, it gets WORSE with age! Double sigh

*Please note not all goldendoodles are affected with chronic allergies.

It's a good thing he's cute.


Who am I kidding? I think goldendoodles are great, if dogs are your thing.

{Tomorrow: On things that make me uncomfortable}


8 comments:

  1. That dog is so cute. We didn't grow up as big animal people in my family but sometimes I wish we did. My best friend's family adopts Westies and they are just the cutest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I stumbled upon this post and have been looking for a goldendoodle. Where did you find Jake? Any recommendations?

    Kara

    www.mskarabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara! We got him locally, but found him through petfinder.com. I'm sure if you just google "goldendoodle puppies" you'll find a lot of helpful websites. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  3. Jake is my favorite next to Mousse. He is a great big bundle of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious..and that pup is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I stumbled across this 2.5 year old article while doing some research on my GoldenDoodle. I have a 6 month old male Doodle whom I love to death. I'm looking to start to take him running with me. That being said, you brought up an issue I might be having...

    My Doodle seems to scratch and nibble at himself every day. He doesn't have fleas and is bathed regularly, but not too often to cause dry skin. His skin is not red or irritated in anyway. What kind of symptoms did your Doodle have that alerted you to him having allergies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting in knowing what treatments were used. I have 5 month old Goldendoodle. He scratches and nibble a lot due to dry skin. Please help.

    ReplyDelete