Monday, December 2, 2013

On Turning Twenty Seven and Thanksgiving


My birthday and Thanksgiving usually get lumped together. I always feel cheated don't really mind, I'm used to it. At least my birthday isn't shared with Christmas.

My idea of a perfect birthday: good food, good company, good drinks and a good movie. Steve made reservations for Lily's on Main, and then got tickets to see Catching Fire {what happens to Peeta?! This is a rhetorical question} at the theater below the restaurant {it's all in the same building}. Which is perfect when one drinks two manhattan cosmos. Let me tell you, it was delicious. As was the lobster mac and cheese and chocolate mousse for dessert. Dear Lord have mercy. Also, I have become quite the fan of bourbon. More specifically Knob Creek bourbon. Smooth as a baby's bottom. In fact, we stocked up our jelly liquor cabinet with this deadly stuff just so we could make our very own manhattan cosmos from the comfort of home. The best part, it's easy! Here's the recipe:

3/4 part razzmatazz liquor
1 1/4 part bourbon
1 part cranberry juice

Add to an ice filled shaker. Shake and strain into martini glass.

Cheers!



All in all, turning 27 wasn't as dreadful as I had imagined. After all, this IS my last year in the "mid-twenties". Sigh. The celebrations did not end with dinner and a movie. But, that's for another post.

Now to the latter...Thanksgiving! One of my favorite holidays because, well, the meal is delicious and it means Christmas is coming. It also means it's around my birthday, so really, all good things are happening around this time of the year for me. As far as warm fuzzy feelings go.

The day usually starts with sleeping in. Then I make green bean casserole, and we head on over to my parents. 

Once the clock strikes noon...


...well, you get the picture.

Then we eat. And we sit on our bums for hours. Some Christmas movies are watched{this year we watched White Christmas! The men were not impressed}, lots of football is watched and that's about it. It's always been a very relaxing, low key holiday for us Stayers. What's important is that we're together, right?

*Miss you Allison and Leesha! Wah :(


^aren't they just the cutest?


^^^he can't be trusted during meal time

^^^I feel it's worth noting this 21 pounder was walking around two days prior
^^^and this pretty much sums up our day. eat. drink. sleep. repeat.

"It is not joy that makes us grateful. It is gratitude that makes us joyful." -David Rast

1 comment: